Windows Live Mail Setup Directions

Discussion forum for YPOPs!/Windows.

Windows Live Mail Setup Directions

Postby BTJustice on November 3rd, 2007, 1:25 am

These directions are for the current versions of Windows Live Mail Beta (Build 12.0.1365) and YPOPs! (0.9.5.1). The following directions should work with future versions of both.

You will need to get Windows Live Mail (WLM) from...

http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

To set it up with YPOPs!...

1) Click the SHOW MENU (ALT+M) button at the top right of the WLM window then click on SHOW ALL MENUS. You should now see FILE, EDIT, VIEW, TOOLS, ACTIONS, and HELP at the top of the WLM window.

2) Click TOOLS > ACCOUNTS. Click the ADD button.

3) Select E-MAIL ACCOUNT then click NEXT.

4) Enter your Yahoo! e-mail address, password, and your name as you would like for it to appear to people you send e-mail to. Check the box in front of "Manually configure server settings for e-mail account." Click NEXT.

5) Make sure to use lower case letters for your username. The username is just the username, not the full Yahoo! e-mail address. The INCOMING and OUTGOING servers are both "127.0.0.1" (no quotes). Check the box in front of "My outgoing server requires authentication". Click NEXT then click FINISH.

6) With the ACCOUNTS window still open, select your Yahoo! e-mail account and click PROPERTIES. Click the ADVANCED tab. Move the SERVER TIMEOUTS slider all the way to the right so the server timeout becomes 5 minutes.

Optionally, you may or may not want to keep e-mails on Yahoo! If you DO NOT WANT to keep e-mails on Yahoo!, uncheck the box in front of "Leave a copy of messages on server". Click APPLY then click OK.

7) Click CLOSE on the ACCOUNTS window to close it. ENJOY!

Hopefully Helpful,
BTJustice

BTJustice
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby BTJustice on November 3rd, 2007, 1:35 am

Here is a little more info on WLM and settings I like to use...

1) Unless you want to, you don't have to sign into Windows Live. You might though if you have a Hotmail or MSN e-mail account.

2) The best way to filter out Junk E-mail is to use Safe Sender lists only. Click ACTIONS > JUNK E-MAIL > E-MAIL SAFETY OPTIONS. This brings up the E-mail Safety Options window. Dot the circle in front of "Safe List Only". Click the SAFE SENDERS tab and be sure both boxes near the bottom of that window are checked. Click the PHISHING tab and be sure both boxes are checked there. Click APPLY then OK.

3) Click TOOLS > OPTIONS. On the GENERAL tab, you might want to change the option to check for new e-mail every 30 minutes to 5 minutes. On the READ tab, you might want to change the "Mark message read..." option to 0 seconds. Uncheck the "Get 300 headers at a time" check box. Click the FONTS button and change the PROPORTIONAL FONT to TIMES NEW ROMAN. Click OK to go back to the OPTIONS window. Click the RECEIPTS tab and uncheck the box in front of "Request a read receipt..." Also dot the circle in front of "Never send a read receipt". Click the SEND tab. Uncheck the box in front of "Automatically put people I reply to in my address book..." Click on both the HTML SETTINGS buttons and uncheck the box in front of "Indent message on reply". Click the COMPOSE tab and change the MAIL and NEWS fonts to 12 PT. TIME NEW ROMAN. Click the ADVANCED tab then click the MAINTENANCE button. You might want to keep deleted messages so be sure the box is uncheck to empty Deleted Items on exit. Click the SPELLING tab and be sure you have spell checking turned on. Click APPLY then OK.

4) If you don't want to save messages to the e-mail server, click on TOOLS > ACCOUNTS and go to the PROPERTIES of each of your e-mail accounts. Click the ADVANCED tab and uncheck the box in front of "Leave a copy of messages on the server". Some servers bypass this setting such as Gmail and Inbox.com. Also on TOOLS > ACCOUNTS, you can delete anything listed there you don't want.

5) Down on the system tray where the clock is, you will see the white envelope for WLM. You can right-click once on this envelope then left-click once on "Hide window when Inbox is minimized". This will remove the task bar button when you minimize WLM so it is out of the way of your other open windows listed on the task bar.
BTJustice
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby anujseth on November 6th, 2007, 1:26 am

Thanks!

I'm making this a sticky post.

UPDATE: Removed post "sticky-ness" and converted post to a configuration document.
Anuj Seth - YPOPs! Dev & Web Admin
Check out my latest project -- Twitdom - Twitter Applications Database
anujseth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BTJustice on November 6th, 2007, 2:11 am

No problem :D
BTJustice
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Re: Windows Live Mail Setup Directions

Postby patriciapinck62 on July 8th, 2008, 9:59 am

Hi there I have allready done this and It is still not working iethier in Yahoo or Windows Live one so just waiting untill the get a fix for it Thank-you
patriciapinck62
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby siddhartha_dutta on August 19th, 2008, 4:18 am

YPOPs comes up with an error "Yahoo could not fond the page" on sending a mail but no such error comes on using smtp.mail... instead of 127.0.0.1.

http://techrecipe.blogspot.com/2008/08/pop3-smtp-access-to-yahoo.html
siddhartha_dutta
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby hardywang on December 27th, 2008, 7:39 pm

It works with Live Mail to receive emails but NOT send emails.
hardywang
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby Ebrukiz on January 28th, 2009, 4:33 pm

I followed all of the directions, to the tee. But, I still can't seem to get it to work. Any help?
Ebrukiz
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby chrisretusn on January 28th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Here a screen shot of Windows Live Mail setup for YPOPs! using YPOPs! defaults settings. Your mileage may vary when trying to send (SMTP) messages using YPOPs!; it works for some folks and not for others. I am in the others category. Only receive works for me.

Yahoo-WLM-Setup1.png
Yahoo-WLM-Setup1.png (48.01 KiB) Viewed 48702 times

Yahoo-WLM-Setup2.png
Yahoo-WLM-Setup2.png (38.46 KiB) Viewed 48688 times
Chris
chrisretusn
YPOPs! Veteran
YPOPs! Veteran

Return to YPOPs!/Windows