where to upload my compiled binary for Mac OS X?

Discussion Forum for YPOPs!/Mac.

where to upload my compiled binary for Mac OS X?

Postby Q3Q on October 20th, 2004, 9:58 am

I would like to make other Mac folks' life easier by sharing my compiled ypops 0.6. I don't have a place to host this zip file (~ 1.1 MB). Here at ypops.sourceforge.net 'add download' link assumes the contribution has its own URL to start with.

Any help from the team?

Q3Q
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Re: where to upload my compiled binary for Mac OS X?

Postby tank on October 22nd, 2004, 4:36 pm

If you will email the zip file I will try to find a host for you. Thanks

Q3Q wrote:I would like to make other Mac folks' life easier by sharing my compiled ypops 0.6. I don't have a place to host this zip file (~ 1.1 MB). Here at ypops.sourceforge.net 'add download' link assumes the contribution has its own URL to start with.

Any help from the team?
Last edited by tank on October 25th, 2004, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tank
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Re: where to upload my compiled binary for Mac OS X?

Postby Q3Q on October 23rd, 2004, 7:22 am

tank wrote:If you will email the zip file to budpam2k@myrealbox.com I will try to find a host for you. Thanks

tank,

I've mailed the zip file to you. Please post the URL when it's ready. Thanks.
Q3Q
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Re: where to upload my compiled binary for Mac OS X?-done

Postby tank on October 25th, 2004, 1:45 pm

Q3Q wrote:
tank wrote:If you will email the zip file I will try to find a host for you. Thanks

tank,

I've mailed the zip file to you. Please post the URL when it's ready. Thanks.

Q3Q,
I've got it posted at http://www.freewebtown.com/tankfiles/index.html or straight to the download at- http://www.freewebtown.com/tankfiles/ya ... ac_0.6.zip

Thanks. Any improvements or changes to your compilation please let me know and I can update the download.
tank
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby Q3Q on October 26th, 2004, 8:28 am

tank wrote:Q3Q,
I've got it posted at http://www.freewebtown.com/tankfiles/index.html or straight to the download at- http://www.freewebtown.com/tankfiles/ya ... ac_0.6.zip

Thanks. Any improvements or changes to your compilation please let me know and I can update the download.

tank,

Thanks. Let me know if it runs on your Mac.

Folks, I've tried my best to document the how-to in the readme file. If you've encountered problems, please post them in this forum. Let's beat them in collective brain power.
Q3Q
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby tank on October 26th, 2004, 12:21 pm

Q3Q wrote:
tank wrote:Q3Q,

tank,

Thanks. Let me know if it runs on your Mac.

Folks, I've tried my best to document the how-to in the readme file. If you've encountered problems, please post them in this forum. Let's beat them in collective brain power.

Everyone, I installed it last night and couldn't get it to work. I figured it was not going to work because in the instructions it says to copy the ypops and ypops.bin to the /usr/local/bin directory and I do not have that directory. I have a /usr/bin directory. I think the /usr/local directory was empty, so I tried it in the /usr/bin directory and after I installed it and tried to run ypops for the first time, apparently it tried to find the ypops.bin in the /usr/local/bin directory which did not exist. I think I am running 10.3.2, which I assumed would have the same directory structure as 10.3.5, which it worked on for Q3Q(right?)

Anyway, I thought I could maybe create a bin directory in /usr/local, but I couldn't remeber the unix command to do it, and I decided that it might look for some libraries in the same path, which would obviously not be there. As you can tell, I know very little about Unix, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I noticed that when I opened Terminal it uses Bash(if that matters).

This would be a great thing for all of the OSX users out there to get POP access to their Yahoo mail. As Q3Q said, let's use our collective brain power.
tank
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

problems with ypop install and compile

Postby pacifier1er on October 26th, 2004, 6:18 pm

<p>I am a complete newbie when it comes to the Unix side of Mac. For years I wondered how everything worked so well on my mac in os 8 and 9 and now I am trying to actually learn in OS X.

<br>I first tide the compiled version following tanks instructions.
I got this message:

<br>Ians-Computer:~ ian$ /usr/local/bin/ypops
Ians-Computer:~ ian$ The necessary preferences file was not found.Please copy the sample preferences file ypops_samplerc given along with the distribution to /Users/pp as ypopsrc

<br>the problem is there is no User pp

<br>Then I downloaded Xtools and Fink and tried compiling the file myself
I then tried to run it. This is the message I recieved:

<br>Welcome to Darwin!
Ians-Computer:~ ian$ /Users/ian/unix/yahoopops; exit

<br>then nothing happens --oh I had to place a . before the preference name, making it an invisible file before it would see it.--

<br>The processes are:
Ians-Computer:~ ian$ ps
PID TT STAT TIME COMMAND
2538 std S 0:00.05 -bash
2553 p2 S 0:00.02 -bash
2564 p2 S+ 0:00.02 /Users/ian/unix/yahoopops

<br>BTW what do these mean, ie TT, and STAT S, S+

<br>There seems to be no .bin file when I compiled, but there was one on tank's version, is this affecting the outcome.

<br>Oh and is there a way to edit tank's files to look for my user folder?

<br>Thanks</p>
pacifier1er
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Re: problems with ypop install and compile

Postby tank on October 27th, 2004, 8:15 am

pacifier1er wrote:<p>I am a complete newbie when it comes to the Unix side of Mac. For years I wondered how everything worked so well on my mac in os 8 and 9 and now I am trying to actually learn in OS X.

<br>I first tide the compiled version following tanks instructions.
I got this message:

<br>Ians-Computer:~ ian$ /usr/local/bin/ypops
Ians-Computer:~ ian$ The necessary preferences file was not found.Please copy the sample preferences file ypops_samplerc given along with the distribution to /Users/pp as ypopsrc

<br>the problem is there is no User pp

<br>Then I downloaded Xtools and Fink and tried compiling the file myself
I then tried to run it. This is the message I recieved:

<br>Welcome to Darwin!
Ians-Computer:~ ian$ /Users/ian/unix/yahoopops; exit

<br>then nothing happens --oh I had to place a . before the preference name, making it an invisible file before it would see it.--

<br>The processes are:
Ians-Computer:~ ian$ ps
PID TT STAT TIME COMMAND
2538 std S 0:00.05 -bash
2553 p2 S 0:00.02 -bash
2564 p2 S+ 0:00.02 /Users/ian/unix/yahoopops

<br>BTW what do these mean, ie TT, and STAT S, S+

<br>There seems to be no .bin file when I compiled, but there was one on tank's version, is this affecting the outcome.

<br>Oh and is there a way to edit tank's files to look for my user folder?

<br>Thanks</p>

pacifier1er,

Q3Q actually compiled the version that you downloaded, I just hosted it for him. I think his complied version ran fine for him in 10.3.5. But I was wondering the same thing you were about editing the fles to look in the correct folder for ypops.bin. I guess we need some Unix gurus to help us out here(Please help)
Thanks for posting. Let's keep it up.
tank
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby Q3Q on October 28th, 2004, 12:34 am

tank wrote:
Everyone, I installed it last night and couldn't get it to work. I figured it was not going to work because in the instructions it says to copy the ypops and ypops.bin to the /usr/local/bin directory and I do not have that directory. I have a /usr/bin directory. I think the /usr/local directory was empty, so I tried it in the /usr/bin directory and after I installed it and tried to run ypops for the first time, apparently it tried to find the ypops.bin in the /usr/local/bin directory which did not exist. I think I am running 10.3.2, which I assumed would have the same directory structure as 10.3.5, which it worked on for Q3Q(right?)

Anyway, I thought I could maybe create a bin directory in /usr/local, but I couldn't remeber the unix command to do it, and I decided that it might look for some libraries in the same path, which would obviously not be there. As you can tell, I know very little about Unix, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I noticed that when I opened Terminal it uses Bash(if that matters).

This would be a great thing for all of the OSX users out there to get POP access to their Yahoo mail. As Q3Q said, let's use our collective brain power.

tank,

sorry for jumping in late. I was away to beat a deadline.

About the missing /usr/local/bin directory:
I was not aware that this is not part of standard Mac OS X file tree structure. Mine got created probably when I installed something previously. Anyway, the following is the command in a terminal window to create them: assuming you have the parent directory /usr/local. If not, follow the principle and create the parent first.
Code: Select all
cd /usr/local
sudo mkdir bin

The first command 'cd' is change directory. It will place us at the specified directory. The second command 'sudo' is to execute the following command in administrator privilege. Because we are going to create a sub-directory in /usr, which is protected, we need it. The command 'mkdir' is make directory. Hopefully, you can place ypops and ypops.bin there.

Of course, the way you did (placing the files in /usr/bin) is fine, too. However, that directory will be modified when Mac OS X do system upgrade. Our customly built programs may get wiped out if they are placed there. The error message you had ('cannot fine ypops.bin') is due to the setting inside the file ypops. This file, acting as our launching agent, is itself a shell script. You can open it with a text editor. You will see that it calls ypops.bin by specifying the absolute directory path name: /usr/local/bin/ypops.bin. If you want to stick with this place /usr/bin, you simply edit that line to reflect the new location. That should do.

Now, you will probably encounter the following problem.

About the missing preference file (ypopsrc)
pacifier1er,

Obviously, your Mac has /usr/local/bin directory. You don't have problem like tank's. However, ypops in your Mac asks the preference file ypopsrc to be at /Users/pp location. Surprise! That user name is mine. I need to check why ypops has the location for ypopsrc hard-coded. I mentioned somethign similar in another thread ('ypcompile need help') about my first impression after compilation. I said that ypops insists the preference file to be placed at hoem directory, even though I specified it to be /usr/local/share as suggested in ypcompile shell script. I am going to check if I accidently specify my home directory for it by compiling it again. If it is simply because my ignorance during the compilation, the new compilation should fix it. On the other hand, if it is a bug in the program, then I don't have a fix. We will see.

About 'no .bin' file in your compilation
pacifier1er,

judging from the naming convention of the preference file '.yahoopops', and the way the compiled binary being located '/Users/ian/unix/yahoopops', I guess your compilation is of the version 0.3.9. Granted, that is the one listed in yahoopops source forge download/Mac section. However, the one we are discussing has the version number 0.6. It's final (not beta) version, and is pointed by in a recent post of the developter member, but not in the download/Mac area.

For now
The installation process should have been smoothier. My apology. I will modify the instruction (included in the zip) to include the scenario tank encountered in which the expected places to store the files do not exist. In addition, I will maybe write a shell script to handle making directory, copying files.

Also, the problem of the hard-coded path for the preference file is troubling me. I will investigate if it is due to my ignorance during the compilation.

Thanks for the feedback.
Q3Q
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

new attempt

Postby pacifier1er on October 28th, 2004, 11:17 pm

Thanks for the response. I d/led the .6 version and tried compiling. When i ran the program and check my mail, I get this response:

Welcome to Darwin!
Ians-Computer:~ ian$ /usr/local/bin/ypops
/usr/local/bin/ypops: line 3: 11490 Segmentation fault /usr/local/bin/ypops.bin

don;t know if i compiled everything right. Could this be caused by having openssl or curl in the wrong location. I used fink to install curl and I downloaded and ran the compiler for openssl. I did not choose any folder locations for them. I used the finder to then find the folder locations. I then put those locations in when requested by the script. Everything seemed to work.

Anyhow maybe this will make sense to someone and help them figure it out.
pacifier1er
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

new attempt

Postby pacifier1er on October 28th, 2004, 11:18 pm

Thanks for the response. I d/led the .6 version and tried compiling. When i ran the program and check my mail, I get this response:

Welcome to Darwin!

don;t know if i compiled everything right. Could this be caused by having openssl or curl in the wrong location. I used fink to install curl and I downloaded and ran the compiler for openssl. I did not choose any folder locations for them. I used the finder to then find the folder locations. I then put those locations in when requested by the script. Everything seemed to work.

Anyhow maybe this will make sense to someone and help them figure it out.
pacifier1er
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby tank on October 31st, 2004, 8:01 am

Thanks Q3Q. I went ahead and updated my system software to 10.3.5 with the latest security updates. I used the commands you said and created the /usr/local/bin directories and put ypops and ypops.bin there and put ypopsrc in my home directory as the instructions say. When I ran /usr/local/bin/ypops this time it gave me this error:

dyld: /usr/local/bin/ypops.bin can't open library: /sw/lib/libxml.1.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

Any ideas?

[/i]
tank
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby Q3Q on October 31st, 2004, 9:59 am

tank wrote:Thanks Q3Q. I went ahead and updated my system software to 10.3.5 with the latest security updates. I used the commands you said and created the /usr/local/bin directories and put ypops and ypops.bin there and put ypopsrc in my home directory as the instructions say. When I ran /usr/local/bin/ypops this time it gave me this error:

dyld: /usr/local/bin/ypops.bin can't open library: /sw/lib/libxml.1.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

Any ideas?
The problem you encountered seems to indicate that the compiled ypops binary needs dynamic library file(s) in libxml during runtime. That means that any Mac OS X user who want to run ypops.bin needs to install libxml package by himself/herself. I have it when I installed fink to prepare for my compilation. It is part of the default install for fink.

The direct solution is to install libxml packaage via fink package management.
see <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12077>

Unfortunately, compiled ypops binary file is not self-contained and having it alone is not enough. I did not know it until now.
Q3Q
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Re: new attempt

Postby Q3Q on October 31st, 2004, 10:08 am

pacifier1er wrote:Thanks for the response. I d/led the .6 version and tried compiling. When i ran the program and check my mail, I get this response:

Welcome to Darwin!

pacifier1er,

Did you use the original ypcompile shell script, or my modified ypcompile?
Please see my previous post in another thread
<http://ypops.sourceforge.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1636&sid=204622922b82c1cd6d63d440e7bb27de>
My modified ypcompile is also included in my uploaded zip file (hosted by tank).
Q3Q
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby Q3Q on October 31st, 2004, 10:21 am

Q3Q wrote:[.....]
For now
The installation process should have been smoothier. My apology. I will modify the instruction (included in the zip) to include the scenario tank encountered in which the expected places to store the files do not exist. In addition, I will maybe write a shell script to handle making directory, copying files.

Also, the problem of the hard-coded path for the preference file is troubling me. I will investigate if it is due to my ignorance during the compilation.
This is the follow-up to my own post.
Yes, the hard-coded path to the configuration file ypopsrc is because I specified it that way during the compilation. I must have paid little attention durint that time.

I re-compile ypops.bin and the configuration file is now located at /usr/local/share, as originally suggested in ypcompile.

Also, I've written some scripts to make the installation (copy files to the destinations) easier.

So, I assemble a new zip file, including re-compiled ypops.bin, and installation script. When it's available for download, tank will post a note.

However, you have to have libxml package installed separately. I don't know how to make ypops.bin self-contained.
Q3Q
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Next

Return to YPOPs!/Mac