What next?

Discussion Forum for the YPOPs! Developers Community.

What next?

Postby anujseth on March 13th, 2005, 2:53 am

YPOPs! Users,

To enable the YPOPs! Team to determine the roadmap for this project, we would like to get a feeler from all of you as to what you think can be the potential enhancements to YPOPs! going forward.

Please do stick to the realm of Yahoo! Mail only. We are not looking at going beyond Yahoo! Mail.

If we get some interesting inputs from you, we will look at pulling them into some release going forward.

Thanks!

I'll lock this posting on 31st March. :!:

- Anuj

Anuj Seth - YPOPs! Dev & Web Admin
Check out my latest project -- Twitdom - Twitter Applications Database
anujseth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby muerte33 on March 15th, 2005, 3:38 pm

Here are some of the frequent requests.

When challenged on an email send...
Display challenge screen and allow input to be forwarded to Yahoo.

Different Ypops settings by User.

When forwarding emails, let them forward from the Yahoo side.
This is no big deal unless the attached files are big.

Addition 5/8/2005
Allow Ypops to work with Windows Telnet for debugging purposes.
Last edited by muerte33 on May 8th, 2005, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
muerte33
Developer
Developer

YPOPs is slow in deleting emails

Postby Psychonet on March 16th, 2005, 12:10 pm

YPOPs is too slow in deleting emails from Yahoo after downloading them, especially if you 're on a dialup and you have to download more than 100 emails each time. I guess this is because ypops deletes them one by one.

It's usually much faster for me to just press "Cancel" on the YPOPs popup window, as soon as it has finished downloading emails, then visit Yahoo's webmail interface and manually (and massively) delete the read emails. -> this is especially convenient if you have matched up the "number of emails to download per session" in YPOPs with the "number of messages to display per page" in Yahoo, 'cause you can just click on "Check All", then "Delete" and you're done.

So, it would be cool if you could somehow make the deleting of lots of emails more...hmm...massive(?) through Ypops.

What do you think? :D

Otherwise, YPOPs rulz. It's, hands down, one of the most useful apps I've installed on my system. A zillion thanks for that and for making it available for free. Thanks once again!

EDIT:
2 anujseth : Wouldn't it be more useful not to lock this thread at all, but to keep it open for all those who want to post their ypops "feature" requests? Not all YPOPs users check the forums regularly, so they may not be able to post their suggestions in time.
Psychonet
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby dbeusee on March 17th, 2005, 2:46 pm

I have changed the delete processing in 0.7.4 (because I was having dup email issues, and wanted to troubleshoot it). It was actually trying to delete 5 at a time, but this is problematic for several reasons. The msgId is quite long (and so the URL length might have maxed out), especially for bulk email, and error recovery is not good (how do you tell the email client it could not delete a particular message?) and it was all done dueing the QUIT POP3 command, which might cause a timeout if it takes too long. It was also hard to troubleshoot message deletion problems, because you could not tell which messages were being deleted. I did not have any dup email issues after I fixed it to delete each individual msg.

I changed it to process the delete when the email client receives the DELE command. This may not be to your liking, because now it is really one at a time (since the email client is really deleting one at a time), but at least error recovery is restored and the QUIT command will not time out.

I think we need to keep it this way, at least for the next few versions. I'm not sure it's a good idea to allow ypops to tell the email client the email was successfully deleted and then it doesn't even try until the QUIT command is given, at which time it can potentially fail. Also, in order to do it correctly, we would need to send the delete request to Yahoo differently - probably as a POST request, with the list of message id's in the data, not the URL as we are currently doing. Maybe the best idea is to have a misc option that allows "bulk deletion" to be turned on or off. Comments?

-Don
dbeusee
Developer
Developer

Postby javajoe on March 19th, 2005, 5:41 pm

I vote for robustness over speed any day. While I understand the sheer drag of deleting each email individually especially for a dialup user, I believe that for a email retrieval agent like YPops, ruggedness and reliability should be paramount. We all know the frustration of having Yahoo tweak something on their end and suddenly we can't download our mail anymore, or we get inundated with hundreds of duplicates.

Of course, I'd love to have both speed and reliability, but it's a cat and mouse game that we play and I'd much rather have the core stability firmly in place.

Keep up the good work!
javajoe
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Re: What next?

Postby alecclews on April 7th, 2005, 4:22 pm

anujseth wrote:YPOPs! Users,

To enable the YPOPs! Team to determine the roadmap for this project, we would like to get a feeler from all of you as to what you think can be the potential enhancements to YPOPs! going forward.

- Anuj

I would like to see YPOPS running as a serivce (or detached scheduled task) for multiple users on Windows XP home edition (NB Home addition does not appear to support a system account).

Thanks. Great tool
alecclews
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby alecclews on April 7th, 2005, 4:27 pm

dbeusee wrote:I have changed the delete processing in 0.7.4 (because I was having dup email issues, and wanted to troubleshoot it). It was actually trying to delete 5 at a time, but this is problematic for several reasons. The msgId is quite long (and so the URL length might have maxed out), especially for bulk email, and error recovery is not good (how do you tell the email client it could not delete a particular message?) and it was all done dueing the QUIT POP3 command, which might cause a timeout if it takes too long. It was also hard to troubleshoot message deletion problems, because you could not tell which messages were being deleted. I did not have any dup email issues after I fixed it to delete each individual msg.
-Don

FYI: This change also appears to have fixed a problem with GPGRelay. Messages were not getting deleted and now they are -- please keep it this way. I can sent GPG signed email via YPOPS. Fabulous!
alecclews
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby dbeusee on April 11th, 2005, 11:07 am

FYI: This change also appears to have fixed a problem with GPGRelay. Messages were not getting deleted and now they are -- please keep it this way. I can sent GPG signed email via YPOPS. Fabulous!

I'm not sure how you determine that, since I haven't released 0.7.4 yet. I think something else fixed that.

-Don
dbeusee
Developer
Developer

Postby stindlpeter on April 19th, 2005, 6:53 am

muerte33 wrote:Here are some of the frequent requests.

Different Ypops settings by User.

This would be great - especially for folders but other settings too.

And if there would be even a flag where you can select if mail in named folders should be deleted or not - it would be great too. But of course I cannot judge how much effort this would mean to code it ;-)
stindlpeter
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Get Rid of Duplicate Emails with YahooPOPS

Postby jazlady on April 19th, 2005, 10:42 pm

Please, Please get rid of the duplicate emails with YahooPOPS. Also can you create a program to remove JUNK email (based on our filter criteria)?
jazlady
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Web interface/Administration port

Postby benwylie1 on May 7th, 2005, 10:43 am

I run YPOPs on my server to bring in emails from Yahoo accounts and feed them into email accounts on my mailserver after having been filtered for spam with spamassassin and viruses deleted.

I am running YPOPs as a system service so that nobody has to be logged onto the server console to have YPOPs running. To get this to work i have disabled the tray icon and i do not allow the service to interact with the desktop.

I don't actually know how i will be able to change the settings for YPOPs now, as to do this i believe you should run ypops again. However if i run it again it would not be run as SYSTEM, and so doen't recognise it is running a second time and therefore doesn't show the system tray icon.

However what my request is that there be an administration interface built into YPOPs, so that you don't need to have the tray icon to change the settings. This could either be in the form of a web interface which could be accessed by http://ipaddress:8080 or whatever port you put it on, or by some kind if interface whereby you can telnet into it, and change the settings.

Thanks
Ben
benwylie1
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby muerte33 on May 8th, 2005, 4:33 am

You don't have to have the tray icon, just launch the program again, and it will pop open the configuration. At least that is how it works in a 'non service' install.
muerte33
Developer
Developer

Postby pub_willnaylor on June 4th, 2005, 12:23 pm

I have a paid Yahoo email account. I am using YPOPs to
send emails via this Yahoo account. A paid Yahoo email
account allows you to set your default email account
to a different email address. In my case, the email address
I use is
pub@willnaylor.com
and the Yahoo email address is
pub_willnaylor@yahoo.com

So I have set up my Yahoo email account "pub_willnaylor@yahoo.com"
so that by default, when I compose and send an email, it shows
that it is from "pub@willnaylor.com". However, when I send via
YPOPs 7.3, the emails shows as coming from "pub_willnaylor@yahoo.com"
and not "pub@willnaylor.com" as I want.

Please help.
pub_willnaylor
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby gnwd on September 18th, 2005, 10:39 pm

add [BULK] prefix at the beginning of Bulk mails
gnwd
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby SES21 on September 27th, 2005, 7:50 am

gnwd wrote:add [BULK] prefix at the beginning of Bulk mails

It's essentially already there! Bulk emails have "X-YPOPs-Folder: @B@Bulk" (w/out the "s, of course) in the header.
SES21
YPOPs! Master
YPOPs! Master

Next

Return to Developers