Next steps for YPOPs!

Discussion Forum for the YPOPs! Developers Community.

Re: Next steps for YPOPs!

Postby jwh21236 on March 5th, 2009, 6:49 am

With regards to YPOPs and Outlook 2007... I was having this same issue and was able to solve it by logging into Yahoo's site and switching back to Classic Mail. It seems to not work with their "New Mail" system, only classic.

Correction: It worked 1 time.

jwh21236
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby WoofWoof on March 5th, 2009, 4:39 pm

anujseth wrote:As you all know, YPOPs! is in quite a bad shape currently with most of the features broken, thanks to the numerous changes Yahoo! keeps making to their Mail service. I don't blame them for it!

One of our lead contributors, Don, had to leave the project due to significant work pressure.

So what next for YPOPs?

I'll be getting back after a long break to come up with the next set of releases for YPOPs!. My first aim is to get email downloads to work again, following which I'll work on getting SMTP functionality working again. Do expect a release by next weekend (worst case) with the first release.

The YPOPs! project is not going to be abandoned.

The weekend has come and gone and another one is almost upon us. When it works, YPOPs is great. Please, pretty please, fix it.

WoofWoof
WoofWoof
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby mickrussom on March 7th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Are we there yet?
mickrussom
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby anujseth on March 7th, 2009, 9:48 pm

My apologies for the silence. I had some personal issues to tackle for the last few days which kept me away from fixing the issues. I'm working on the next release right now. I'm hoping I can get it out today if everything goes fine.
Anuj Seth - YPOPs! Dev & Web Admin
Check out my latest project -- Twitdom - Twitter Applications Database
anujseth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chrisretusn on March 8th, 2009, 2:29 am

No apology needed.
Chris
chrisretusn
YPOPs! Veteran
YPOPs! Veteran

Postby anujseth on March 8th, 2009, 3:11 am

Some good news first: I've determined a completely new method by which you can download emails from Yahoo!. This seems to be working consistently on multiple accounts I've tested with.

Since this is a new approach, it require significantly more coding effort; but at the same time will help reduce dependency on several 3rd party libraries that we use.

I'm currently writing the new code as a separate test implementation which I will plug into YPOPs! when tested.
Anuj Seth - YPOPs! Dev & Web Admin
Check out my latest project -- Twitdom - Twitter Applications Database
anujseth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vivek Agarwal on March 10th, 2009, 12:53 pm

For those of you having issues downloading emails, looks like Anuj has come through with his fix. I just downloaded/installed 0.9.7.3 and that seems to have fixed my issues in downloading Yahoo mail. Great work, Anuj!

Many thanks, Vivek.
Vivek Agarwal
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Next steps for YPOPs!

Postby vasudevaniyer on March 11th, 2009, 5:00 pm

While testing the account settings after configuring outlook 2007, it's getting logged onto incoming mail server (POP3). But unable to complete the "send test message"
Pls help
vasudevaniyer
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby chrisretusn on March 11th, 2009, 9:22 pm

SMTP is not functional in the last version yet. It's being worked on.

See HERE
Chris
chrisretusn
YPOPs! Veteran
YPOPs! Veteran

Postby b.b.king on March 31st, 2009, 5:13 am

anujseth wrote:As you all know, YPOPs! is in quite a bad shape currently with most of the features broken, thanks to the numerous changes Yahoo! keeps making to their Mail service. I don't blame them for it!

One of our lead contributors, Don, had to leave the project due to significant work pressure.

So what next for YPOPs?

I'll be getting back after a long break to come up with the next set of releases for YPOPs!. My first aim is to get email downloads to work again, following which I'll work on getting SMTP functionality working again. Do expect a release by next weekend (worst case) with the first release.

The YPOPs! project is not going to be abandoned.

Funny. I got Outlook 2003 to now send mail. First it worked getting and sending, then just getting, now just sending. I guess Yahoo is throwing the middle finger at us!
b.b.king
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby enso on May 25th, 2009, 5:12 am

Almost two months since the last post, and ypops seems to be broken for downloading yahoo mail during most of that time. Is there still a commitment to keeping this functionality? Is it even still technically possible with all of yahoo's shenanigans? Is there any rough estimate for a fix?
enso
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Previous

Return to Developers