Need help getting 0.9.2 to compile

Discussion Forum for YPOPs!/Linux.

Postby alambers on August 31st, 2007, 8:25 am

I checked out the latest version from cvs and ran into problems compiling it on an up-to-date gentoo system.

First:
DataHolder.cpp: In member function `int CDataHolder::Load(const char*)':
DataHolder.cpp:543: error: `theApp' was not declared in this scope
DataHolder.cpp:543: error: `HKEY_CURRENT_USER' was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [DataHolder.o] Error 1

I resolved this by moving the "#ifdef WIN32" up to line 542.

Second:
Email.cpp: In member function `CStringEx EmailAddress::toString()':
Email.cpp:517: error: conversion from `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' to non-scalar type `CStringEx' requested
Email.cpp: In member function `void EmailAddressList::_CopyAddresses(const EmailAddressList&)':
Email.cpp:588: error: cannot convert `(((const std::vector<EmailAddress*, std::allocator<EmailAddress*> >*)(+aList)) + 4u)->std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::begin [with _Tp = EmailAddress*, _Alloc = std::allocator<EmailAddress*>]()' from type `__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<EmailAddress* const*, std::vector<EmailAddress*, std::allocator<EmailAddress*> > >' to type `EmailAddress**'

It's been a while since I did any in-depth C coding so this one is beyond me at this point.

Out of curiousity, do the maintainers test releases on Linux or are we on our own for getting this stuff to compile?

Thanks

alambers
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby anujseth on August 31st, 2007, 12:51 pm

Well....2 out of 3 developers (including myself) focus on Windows and 1 of them on Linux. The catch being the Linux developer is on a long leave from YPOPs! currently :-(

I'll look into this next week....after I get all the current set of issues ironed out so that the Windows community is happy! I love Linux too much myself and cannot let it get into a state where it looks like we have abandoned it. Just give me a few days time to take a deeper look at this...
Anuj Seth - YPOPs! Dev & Web Admin
Check out my latest project -- Twitdom - Twitter Applications Database
anujseth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alambers on August 31st, 2007, 5:32 pm

Thanks for the response. I'll do my best to fend off my wife while waiting for a fix!
alambers
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby Sarten-X on September 1st, 2007, 9:08 pm

Heh... I'm in the same boat as you are... My girlfriend wants her email, and I refuse to let her use the windows version, since Linux is just better on principle.
Sarten-X
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby casualprogrammer on September 19th, 2007, 11:43 pm

Just to link me in with email notification on this issue.

Casual
casualprogrammer
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby casualprogrammer on October 28th, 2007, 2:26 am

anujseth wrote:I'll look into this next week...
Just give me a few days time to take a deeper look at this...

Have you seen anything yet, anujseth ?

If so, did anything helpful cross your mind you want to share with the rest of us ?

Also please let us share your definition of "a few days".

Casual
casualprogrammer
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby zman0900 on October 29th, 2007, 1:11 pm

I am also getting the same errors as alambers. I was able to fix the first one using his method, but I also don't know C++ well enough to fix the second one. Any help would be appreciated, because I've had no luck with the precompiled binary of 0.8.something, and no luck running the windows binary in wine either.
zman0900
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby casualprogrammer on November 6th, 2007, 5:57 am

anujseth wrote:Well....2 out of 3 developers (including myself) focus on Windows and 1 of them on Linux. The catch being the Linux developer is on a long leave from YPOPs! currently :-(

I'll look into this next week....after I get all the current set of issues ironed out so that the Windows community is happy! I love Linux too much myself and cannot let it get into a state where it looks like we have abandoned it. Just give me a few days time to take a deeper look at this...

While trying to get CVS to compile, I get more errors. Rather confusing for me.

I really would appreciate some help in getting ypops up and running again.

thanks,

Casual
casualprogrammer
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Source code - Changes made by me.

Postby tskariah on November 7th, 2007, 6:31 am

For the benefit of people who could not compile the source on a UNIX platform, I am posting the changes that I made to YPOPs! 0.9.5.1 to get it working on Linux (Ubuntu) platform. Please feel free to download and compile for your OS. I have tried this only on Ubuntu i386 and it works fine on that system. I am not sure of other systems.

I could not manage to get it working for the 64bit processors. Maybe someone out there could give it a try.

1. Download the sources from: YPOPs! 0.9.5.1 sources for UNIX platform

2. Extract it with:

$ tar -xvzf ypops-0.9.5.1-src.tgz

or

$ gunzip -c ypops-0.9.5.1-src.tgz | tar -xvf -

3. You would need the following packages if it is not already installed

- libcurl3-dev (curl)
- g++
- automake

4. To compile:

$ cd ypops-0.9.5.1
$ make release

5. The executable you should find in ./bin/ypops

6. There is also an init script in ./bin/ypops.init which should work with most of the xNIX OS.

The following files were modified by me:

src/DataHolder.cpp
src/DataHolder.h
src/Email.cpp
src/LogFile.cpp
src/LogFile.h
src/SmtpListener.cpp
src/WebBrowser.cpp
src/WebBrowser.h
src/YPOPs.cpp
src/inifile.cpp
src/inifile.h

If you could improve the code in some manner and would like to share it with others/me, please feel free to send me a patch.

Please make sure that you backup your emails, or use a not-so-important email id for testing the program.

DISCLAIMER:
I don't take any responsibility for what ever you do with the code.
tskariah
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Re: Source code - Changes made by me.

Postby casualprogrammer on November 7th, 2007, 11:13 am

tskariah wrote:For the benefit of people who could not compile the source on a UNIX platform, I am posting the changes that I made to YPOPs! 0.9.5.1 to get it working on Linux

That was fast Thomas,

and it's working nicely with openSuSE 10.3 ! Thank you very much indeed !

Casual

P.S. While I have not managed to upload a new opensuse rpm, those of you using it, can compile ypops following Thomas' advice and then just copy the binary to /usr/sbin replacing the old version.
casualprogrammer
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby Hyper on December 27th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Is there anyway to get these sources updated for 10.5 OSX :) It doesn't compile :/
Hyper
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Return to YPOPs!/Linux