Messages with a line with a dot "."

Discussion Forum for the YPOPs! Developers Community.

Messages with a line with a dot "."

Postby bijan on September 4th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Hi,

I just started using YPOPs to download my yahoo mail. The problem is that no matter what mail client I use it eventually gets stuck. To get around this I wrote my own little pop3 client, which works great. Except the problem with this is that when there is a line in a message that looks like:
or in other words:
^.\r\n$
or
.CRLF

YPOPs sends it to my client. But that is supposed to be the indication of the end of a message (so my client thinks the email is over). YPOPs should send:
^\r\n.\r\n$
or
CRLF.CRLF
instead according to RFC 1939 - Post Office Protocol - Version 3.

I think this should be an easy change to make. I would do it myself, but the source code for the most recent version doesn't seem to be available and I don't have a compiler on my windows machine. But if you point me at the source code, I guess I'll go and find a compiler.

Thanks in advance,
Bijan

bijan
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Re: Messages with a line with a dot "."

Postby bijan on September 5th, 2009, 12:25 am

This should be fixed eventually I guess. But I came up with a workaround:
After reading a line with just a dot on it, I sleep for a bit, then try to do a non-blocking read on the socket. If I manage to read some data I know that the message is not over and there is more data to be read. If the read doesn't return data I know that I've hit the end of the message.
bijan
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Return to Developers