How can I get this Visual Mode to work?

Discussion Forum for the YPOPs! Website and this Discussion Forum.

How can I get this Visual Mode to work?

Postby andytampa on August 22nd, 2007, 10:31 pm

Everytime I try to type in this box, a dialog asks me if I want to use Visual Mode. When I do use VM, it looks good until I try to preview it. Then all the HTML codes become text. The options say HTML is off even though I've set HTML on in my profile.

I can't find any place for help so I'm asking here. Can someone point me toward some useful help?

AndyTampa
===========
andytampa
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Postby JMThomas on August 23rd, 2007, 7:08 am

I don't see any options to turn off the Visual Mode prompt. And the default "OK" is backwards, especially for beta-ing (alpha-ing?) the feature.

I have found that it can turn suddenly itself on. After my text was clobbered by previewing it, I cut and pasted to notepad and cleaned everything up but two consecutive HTML break tags "< br >< br >" (without the spaces as I don't trust the quote to remain unchanged).

After pasting back into the forum message text box, I noticed the double break, highlighted both, and the pressed Enter twice (to replace them with a couple of line breaks).

The message text box then switched into Visual Mode; the text style changing was my tip-off. Being PO'd, I didn't take time to examine what all may have changed, i.e. if the two tags were still there and/or the text broke as the tag would do if HTML processing was going on.

Good News (maybe): Using the browser "back" button undid the switch to visual mode, restoring my text as it was when I pasted it into the message text box.

I don't think I'm going to like visual mode, what ever it exactly may be... But I'll keep an open mind after things get fixed.
JMThomas
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

I a

Postby JMThomas on August 23rd, 2007, 7:19 am

JMThomas wrote:{snip}
I have found that it can turn suddenly itself on.
{snip}

1. I think I see what happened.

Every time you enter the message text box, you get that &%#@! prompt.

My first Enter disposed of the box, turning on Visual mode.

2. Something weird is going on with right clicking. I use Firefox, which has a spelling checker going for text entry areas. Right clicking on a misspelled word (to see a list of possible good spellings) did not act look/right.

ESCaping out of the menu, I tired again and got what I expected.

3. Ditto Selection when entering the box.

After previewing my message, I went to the message text area and highlighted a select. Upon releasing the mouse button, I got the "Visual Mode" prompt box, and clicked cancel.

My selection (highlighted text) had changed, expanding at both top and bottom so that the original selection was now in the middle of the highlight.
Last edited by JMThomas on August 23rd, 2007, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMThomas
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby JMThomas on August 23rd, 2007, 7:24 am

And while I'm on the subject of options, would the administrator kindly enable the setting of a few of them?

The bulletin board seems to be good old phpBB. phpBB has an "Edit options" page where you can set quite a few options. This is separate from the "Edit Profile" page.

Perhaps it could be enabled?

And we might get lucky and see a "Visual Mode" on/off option there?
JMThomas
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby anujseth on August 31st, 2007, 11:13 pm

I shall look into this to see if I can disable the feature completely.

I don't have most HTML tags enabled on this forum for security reasons, hence Visual Mode is really not of much use.

I'll get back shortly with some updates...
Anuj Seth - YPOPs! Dev & Web Admin
Check out my latest project -- Twitdom - Twitter Applications Database
anujseth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anujseth on August 31st, 2007, 11:17 pm

Let me know if its disabled for you now.

I've disabled visual mode support on this site.
Anuj Seth - YPOPs! Dev & Web Admin
Check out my latest project -- Twitdom - Twitter Applications Database
anujseth
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby andytampa on September 1st, 2007, 5:31 am

Bingo! Visual Mode does not offer itself to us any more. Thank you, sir.
AndyTampa
===========
andytampa
YPOPs! Rookie
YPOPs! Rookie

Return to Website