FINALLY - SUPER EASY - POP Yahoo mail on your Mac FREE

Discussion Forum for YPOPs!/Mac.

FINALLY - SUPER EASY - POP Yahoo mail on your Mac FREE

Postby vandil on December 30th, 2007, 12:26 pm

Here's how to finally POP your Yahoo mail on your Mac super easy for free.

Download MacFreePOPs:
http://www.e-link.it/macfreepops/

Install it and run it. Tell mail.app that your username is your complete yahoo.com e-mail address, enter your password, and add port 2000.

Done. That's it. Nothing more to do but to donate (optional) if you enjoy this super easy solution.

I've tried to be patient, but the Mac version of YPOPs! sucks. Much respect to the developers, but clearly you guys are Windows-only people or otherwise don't care for the Mac platform. -- understandable -- not a criticism, just an observation based on how miserable the Mac version's experience is...

After all these years of trying to compile YPOPs myself and getting it to run, or tracking down precompiled binaries and getting it to run... all without success... I've had it with YPOPs.

MacFreePOPs not only works right out of the box, it's truly captured the simplicity of the Macintosh experience.

Please don't delete this thread/post. Let people move on to MacFreePOPs and let YPOPs for Mac die.... or use this thread/post as inspiration to improve the Mac version of YPOPs.

vandil
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Re: FINALLY - SUPER EASY - POP Yahoo mail on your Mac FREE

Postby pkyzztar on May 21st, 2008, 11:54 pm

No, MacFreePOPS is NOT "Super Easy."

The documentation and tutorials are in Italian. There is no English language equivalent. I followed all instructions as best I could and nothing happens. Look, I love Italy and Italians, and I'm sure that this is an excellent program to Mac Geeks everywhere, but if you guys want the majority of people to be able to use your programs, you need to run it past average Mac users and see if they can figure it out. If they can't, then you need to get to work on better documentation and tutorials.

MacFreePOPS is totally worthless to me.
pkyzztar
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby tm3aiverson on June 7th, 2008, 11:24 pm

@vandil:
Thank you so much! I've been really struggling to get ypops running as well, but this worked wonderfully. it will make life so much easier.

For those weaning themselves off of Yahoo (like myself), Lavabit is a really good free POP/IMAP/Webmail Service. Also I recommend getting the personal account. I have yet to get a single piece of spam.

http://lavabit.com/
tm3aiverson
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby RedDiamond on June 11th, 2008, 4:02 am

1. Here are english version instructions for MacFreePOPs: http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtip ... _yahoo.htm

2. Using MacFreePOPs allows one to Download Yahoo mail into MacMail - NOT to send Yahoo mail.

3. @vandil and all - with MacFreePOPs, Have you been able to SEND yahoo mail using the yahoo mail address as the "from" address? If so, how?
RedDiamond
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby vandil on June 11th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Set Mail.app to use your ISP's SMTP server (Comcast, Time Warner/Road runner, Verizon, etc.) for sending mails.

@pkyzztar : Send the computer back to Apple. You're done.
vandil
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby edablan on July 10th, 2008, 7:24 pm

@vandil what do you use for the username and password for the ISP SMTP Server username and password? is it The one given to you for use with your ISP'S provided email account?
edablan
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby alexson115 on July 6th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Good post. I appriciate it :evil:

pret personnel
alexson115
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Postby manola on July 9th, 2009, 1:35 am

I can upload anything there, or to change the default document path to some other path that's writable to root, and world readable.
sonnerie portable gratuite
manola
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Return to YPOPs!/Mac