challenged by command line install

Discussion Forum for YPOPs!/Linux.

challenged by command line install

Postby texas.chef94 on October 13th, 2008, 3:16 am

I am a newbie to Linux and ubuntu and this business of going to firebox+welcome screen+down arrow to ATT/yahoo mail is getting "old" Tried setting up evolution, Thunderbird etc and this SSL with yahoo continues to be my stumbling block. Found the YPOPs install and looks as if there is no graphic way and command line is really a challenge to me starting here First you need to add the following line to source list file by editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file.
So would some patient user tell this 76 year old the actual steps one two three etc.

Allen :?:

texas.chef94
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Re: challenged by command line install

Postby spcwingo on December 3rd, 2008, 2:17 pm

To add to the apt sources list open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) then type: gksu gedit (assuming you have the gnome desktop environment, which is the standard Ubuntu distribution). After that type in your password and it will open gedit. Click the open tab and it will pop-up another window. Choose File System on the left side of the window. After that choose the etc folder, then the apt folder, and finally the sources.lst file. Input the new source (should look something like this: deb http://tskariah.net78.net/ubuntu ubuntu main) at the bottom of the file and save. If you have any more questions I can be reached directly at spcwingo AT yahoo DOT com (of course replace the AT with a @ and the DOT with a .).
spcwingo
YPOPs! Newbie
YPOPs! Newbie

Return to YPOPs!/Linux